Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Reality TV Yay or Nay

Who likes reality television?  The Nielsen Company’s December 2009 top five are as follows: "1. American Idol-Wednesday, 2. American Idol-Tuesday, 3. Dancing with the Stars, 4. NBC Sunday Night Football, 5. Dancing with the Stars-Results Show".   Since four out of the top five are reality TV shows, I would have to say America does.  Reality TV comes in many different forms, from rooming young people from many different backgrounds together in an apartment (MTV’s The Real World), to a multitude of contestants traversing an obstacle course designed to humiliate them (ABC’s Wipeout), or teams traveling all around the world, performing stunts as quickly as possible to win a million dollars (CBS’s The Amazing Race).   Some of us find these types of programs highly entertaining, while others consider them offensive for reasons such as: being a waste of time, bad influence on our youth today, and they glorify immorality.
Since there are so many reality TV shows, in so many different genres, it is highly likely that most people who watch television on a regular basis have watched at least one season of some form of reality TV show.  Proponents of reality TV suggest that TV has never been so exciting.  Water coolers and cafeterias are buzzing with talk of who got kicked off of American Idol or who they pick to lose the most by the end of the season on The Biggest Loser.  The characters in these programs draw us in due to their candid personalities which cause viewers to root for or against them.  Whether a viewer is interested in money, love, racing, cooking, dancing, singing, or someone making an ass of themselves, there is a show for them to watch.
According to The First Post regarding reality TV, “It is often cruel, exposing the participants to gross humiliation for our amusement.  This makes it the modern equivalent of going to laugh at the lunatics in Bedlam.  The present row over racism on Big Brother shows how nasty it can be.”  Critics claim that reality television encourages promiscuity, vulgarity, and the anything for a buck mentality.   Some viewers state that many reality TV programs should be banned due to the abrasive content.  Considering the lack of creativity that goes into making one of these shows, I wonder how many writers and actors are out of work because there are so many different types of these programs being aired.  Some people feel that popularity shouldn’t be the only reason to broadcast a program.  They have been compared to public executions, which still take place in a few countries.
I personally don’t enjoy most of these shows but they shouldn’t be banned just because they are reality based and we have no control over how the participants will act.  The right to freedom of speech should not be ignored because someone is offended by something.  If you don’t like what is on TV, change the channel or better yet turn it off and pick up a book.  As a father, I curb the viewing of many of these programs by my children because of the nature of the show.  There are a few family oriented reality TV shows that children can watch such as: Dancing with the Stars, American Idol, and So you Think you Can Dance, just to name a few.
 I would like to say that I can’t stand reality TV, but as I was researching this I realized that I watched several reality programs regularly, and why would I condemn a form of entertainment that I myself watch?  On the subject of reality TV, Time Magazine claims, "It makes us feel tawdry, dirty, cheap--if it didn't, we porobably wouldn't bother tuning in."  I know that opinions will vary on this subject, but that is what makes America so great, we can agree to disagree.

4 comments:

  1. I don't watch any of those listed there, but I suppose you could consider Intervention on A&E a reality program and from time-to-time I will watch it when I am bored. Some of it I find really hard to believe. What people are really going to do drugs right in front of a camera person and have that aired on television? I question the reality of many reality shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I would say America likes reality shows! I watch a lot of them in the past not so many now as the people have changed on the show like the host! I almost always watch Sunday night football so I guess I’m in on the reality TV shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reality shows are such a big part of television now. You almost can't get around them. My husband and I watch a lot of discovery channel, which has quite a few reality shows. He is into the man vs. wild stuff, that kind of thing. Some of those shows can be educational. However, there are way to many reality shows that are just rude and almost insulting. Unfortunatley, these shows are very popular among teenagers. I personally don't think it teaches society anything but what not to do! It worries me for my boys to get any older. By the time they are teenagers who knows what will be out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reality shows are a total waste of time to me but you can't turn the television on without finding one. I too enjoy the Discovery channel,they may be reality shows but certainly a lot more interesting as well as informative. If I am going to sit down and waste thirty minutes or a hour of my time I would at least like to think I am learning a little something!

    ReplyDelete