Friday, March 18, 2011

Poker Night with Kelly

            Kelly and I try to get out of the house at least once a week, just by ourselves. I realize this is not always possible but it is good to try. There is something about going out and doing stuff together just as a couple, not as a mom and dad, which seems to keep our relationship fresh. We both like to play Texas hold’em so the idea of playing poker together appeals to both of us. We used to play on the occasional Friday night at the Jukebox where they hosted the free poker tour. We always had tons of fun doing that but recently; due to an increase in the popularity of the bar they decided that the poker tour was using up tables that their patrons could be using, as a result the poker tour is no longer hosted there and has yet to find a new home on Friday nights.
     Kelly and I knew this was the situation but we both wanted to play some cards. We decided to try our luck at Downstream Casino Saturday night last weekend. We both took the time to dress nice for a night out. As we were getting ready Kelly’s sister texted her suggesting we should do something together that weekend. Kelly messaged Jamie telling her what we had planned and that she could join us there if she liked. Jamie agreed to this. So I bathed Dylan getting him ready for bed and also tucked the girls in their beds for the night while Kelly applied her makeup. Once she was finished with that she kissed all the kids, left the sitter our number and instructions, and headed out the door.
     Once we met up with Jamie, we headed to the poker room. The attendant behind the counter put our name on the list for the $3 small blind/$6 big blind table which had a maximum bid of $6 opposed to the all in tables. We then took our vibrating beepers to the bar to have a drink while we waited for a table to open up for us. We hadn’t even finished our first drink when we were all called back to the poker room. Enough players were put on the waiting list to open up a new table. After heading to the cashier and purchasing our $40 minimum by in we all sat next to each other and settled in for a nice game of Texas hold’em.
     Kelly and I both won a couple of hands early on giving us both some more chips to play with. I seemed to be on a role from the very beginning. I didn’t play every hand but during the few that I did the cards were kind to me. I won a good sized pot from Jamie and Kelly, both on one hand, taking a good amount of their chips. Shortly after that Kelly won back some of her chips from me but in the mean time I had won another big pot from two other players. Jamie just wasn’t having the same luck that we were and soon she was separated from all of her chips. About thirty minutes after Jamie was busted Kelly said she was getting tired and that we should cash out and call it a night, and I agreed. I gathered up chips while Kelly did the same and we both headed to the cashier. After figuring the cost of drinks and chips we left the casino with $65 more than we brought. I call that a good night out.

2 comments:

  1. that does sound like a good night out. I dont ever seem to win anything at those casinos but paying 40 dollars to play Texas Hold-em for an evening doesnt sond like a bad plan to me. plus then you get the chance to walk out ahead like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you guys had a good night out! It is always fun to get out and do something. I like to play poker to but it seems like I have a lot of luck over on the slot machines but that’s not a good thing because everybody knows on slots you can go broke fast.

    ReplyDelete