I was working on my homework, at the kitchen table, last week when Kelly, who was sitting at her computer looking over her facebook, says “We should do this”. Curious, I asked her what she was suggesting we do. She told me she was talking about the Warrior Dash which would be hosted by Old Monroe, Missouri October 15, 2011. From the few pictures I could make out from across the room it looked fun. She then went on to tell me that it was a race with obstacles that covers a little over three miles. Well, I can’t run that far right now without stopping for a breather. By the time October comes around I should be able to do it, if I train hard enough. So I told her we would start training for it.
I decided that if I was going to train for something, I would have to know more about it. The next day I looked it up. It was described as America’s most insane race. Apparently this thing is pretty popular for an event I’ve never heard before. It is held it over twenty two states and Canada and Australia. How could I not have heard of the Warrior Dash? What I’ve discovered was that there would be twelve obstacles varying from jumping over cars and crawling through pipes to crawling through the mud and jumping over burning logs. Costumes are also a big part of this race’s allure. Also there will be a live band playing most of the day and lots of beer and turkey legs after the race.
I was so excited about it that I called my youngest sister Leah, and asked her to come down and race it with us. I told her that if she came, I would pay her entry into the event. She said that she would try. This race is really huge. I read an article about the Warrior Dash held in Forney, Texas had approximately 30,000 participants, this doesn’t count the spectators. I am really stoked about this. I just know that I don’t want to fall flat on my face from exhaustion so I will need to train seriously for it.
Kelly and I have been training for a week now. We have been switching from running on the tread mill to running on the elliptical. I told her today that I think we need to find the time to run on a track and later we should find some rough terrain to practice on because that will be expected. I’m not really concerned about the obstacles they seem fairly mild, just enough to add some flavor to the run. We have not decided if we are going to dress up yet. I think we probably will in some way. I just know I won’t want to wear anything so bulky or hot it will impede my running ability. Kelly is already a better runner than I am but she insists that she won’t leave me behind. Isn’t she sweet?




That is awesome! I have never heard of it either till I read your article. I hope you get in great shape and you do well!
ReplyDelete