Friday, March 4, 2011

Responsible Pet Owners Neuter Their Animals

My wife, Kelly, and I are both animal lovers. She also helps out a few dog rescue groups. Kelly has already fostered one dog and transported several others. The both of us realize that the shelters just don’t have enough room due to overcrowding.  I believe that one of the major causes of the overcrowding is because many pet owners aren’t getting their pets neutered or spayed.  Neutering or spaying of your pet will eliminate the chance of unwanted puppies and kittens. Cats especially need to be spayed because they are more difficult to contain in your yard. For this reason and a few others, you’ll find that in shelters, that house both cats and dogs, cats out number dogs at a ratio reaching up to 10 to 1. On the average though, the ratio of cats over dogs is closer to 4 to 1.
I have read a few blogs from people opposing spaying and neutering of cats and dogs. Apparently they are concerned about where the next generation of pets will come from if all of the pets are neutered. To even assume that every pet will be spayed or neutered is unrealistic. The reality is that no matter what happens there will be owners who simply refuse to spay or neuter their pets just because they don’t want anyone telling what they should do. I find this attitude very irresponsible and responsibility is something every pet owner should have.
There has been talk about mandatory spaying and neutering of pets, but I am not so sure if this is a good idea. I’ve read some facts showing that this didn’t work in other areas. I believe the idea was that as a pet is registered the owner will be required to either have this pet spayed or neutered or buy a no spay registration which is considerably more expensive than the normal one. The money collected from dog registrations go to the shelters and other programs. The problem with mandatory spay laws are that many pet owners that don’t want to have their pet spayed just don’t have them registered. This would result in lower funding for animal shelters and programs that rely on money coming from pet registration.
Instead of a mandatory spay law, pet owners just need to be more responsible about their animals. If you don’t want to have them spayed or neutered then at least keep them out of reach from any other animal that could breed with them. I do realize this is so much more difficult for cat owners which is why cats should be fixed, simple as that. Not only will it keep your female cats from getting pregnant but it will help keep your male cats from roaming the streets knocking up every female he can find. Each time the male cats wonder around they run the risk of being picked up and taken to the shelter and added to the masses that are there. So I tell all my friends that own pets to please have their animals fixed.

1 comment:

  1. I think the problem is, is that pet owners don't know the plus side to doing this; like that your animal will less likey have health problems and more. I never got what the big deal was tell my vet explained to me all the benfits on neutering my dog. Also, that it is cheaper when they are younger and less painful!
    Good Blog I think someone needs to do an essay on the pro's and con's or just discuss this issue it is very serious and needs to be heard!

    ReplyDelete