Enlisting in the service was one of the most important things I did. It was the most important thing I had done as a young man. My life was a mess at that time in my life. I was not an out of control teenager but I was pretty bad. I most certainly didn’t have any ideas about what I was going to do with myself after high school. I was slowly sailing through my life without a rudder. I realize that there are many people that would do everything they could to convince their child not to enlist, but as a parent I would be proud if one of my children served their country. The Navy gave me purpose and taught me a skill I could make a career.
Basic training wasn’t too difficult, but is was lonely and strange being away from everyone I knew, for the first time in my life. I was lucky that before basic training was over Dessert Storm ended. At the time I was disappointed I wanted to be a part of the conflict, but that was just the thoughts of an ignorant young man. Many parents would give anything to spare their children from their self inflicted duty overseas. I was sent to aviation electrician school in Millington Tennessee after boot camp. From there I was sent to California to learn how to work on the CH 46 SeaKnights.
I’m sure many parents are nervous about their kids losing their identity if they join. I was not one of those. I made several close friends and learned a lot. I believe that, as with most things in life, you get out of the military what you put into it. If you work hard and study your rate (profession) you will most likely advance in your career, gaining higher income and more respect. There are not many other career choices a young person can make that gives them an opportunity to retire with half of your base pay at age 38.
I didn’t take advantage of the retirement because I was still young and misguided. It is hard to say that I wish I didn’t leave the Navy when I did because I love my life the way it is now, but how nice would it be if I had stayed in and retired this year. Oh well I can’t live in the past. If I do have a child that joins, I will do my best to help them choose a career path they will enjoy and to encourage them to try and retire from the military service.
I do realize that you can’t force anyone to make that hard choice because it does take a certain kind of person to make a full career in the military. It just isn’t for everyone. I was only in active duty for four years but the time I spent enlisted was awesome. I made friends that I still think about today. I can’t remember any other job I felt so united with my fellow workers. I wasn’t what you would call a successful student or athlete, so I didn’t have much to offer my parents. My family was proud of me for the first time in my life when I left for basic.
No comments:
Post a Comment